One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of speech regarded as an affected imitation of cockney in accent and vocabulary.
- ‘All you could hear was the sound of cockney / mockney mixed in with the odd Mancunian / Scouse or public school accent.’
- ‘He is a smart, religious, handsome, family man with charisma, vision, passion, good suits, his own teeth and an accent that shifts between plummy and mockney as the company requires.’
- ‘The demented mockney charmer needs to keeps positive though.’
- ‘Contrast that with a chirpy, mockney chappy, throwing fistfuls of marjoram at a joint of meat, and modern cooking programmes all start to look a bit homogenised in comparison.’
- ‘Posssibly you could explain that if he was a real cockney as opposed to a pathetic little mockney he'd know you are not a ‘ginger’, you are a ‘duke’.’
- ‘We critics spend our time wondering why British cinema - lumbered with PC dullness and mockney gangsters - can't or won't capture the brilliant spirit of our best TV comedy.’
- ‘He has, after all, always been a bit of an actor, with his chameleon persona and a voice that sometimes has a chummy, mockney tone.’
- ‘But do any of us honestly prefer Vicky's mockney?’
- ‘‘Most English public schoolboys these days speak a kind of public school mockney,’ says the author.’
- ‘There's a chance you might decide to start to strut around like some kind of hopeless mockney wideboy after you've seen it, though.’
- ‘Take one disco drumbeat, add a bouncy bassline, throw in a grouchy guitar noise and a cheeky mockney songsmith, and hey presto!’
- ‘This morning, on the train into work, I was listening to the radio and found myself cringing at the mockney accent of the breakfast show DJ.’
- ‘We don't need any more mockney, has-been Hollywood castoffs in London, they just take up precious space and claim all the freebies so there's none left for us.’
- ‘For all the mockney accents and geezer lingo, an assortment of mens-wear sales assistants would be more threatening than this bunch.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.