One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In considerable numbers.‘they came mob-handed’
- ‘These days the police turn up mob-handed for everything, in compliance with health and safety guidelines.’
- ‘Some people would have marched off mob-handed to settle the score, some people would have gone into hiding and ceased all anti-racism campaigning.’
- ‘For anyone to attack these people mob-handed is inexcusable and the full weight of the law should be brought against them.’
- ‘We were committing a lot of players, so if they had the ball we had no cover on second and third phase, and if we had the ball they could defend against us mob-handed.’
- ‘Scalloped hammerhead sharks are difficult to mistake, and usually seen mob-handed where deep waters meet reef.’
- ‘There is ample evidence I have seen in the material to give rise to a suspicion of overkill or even a mob-handed approach to the litigation so far as the time spent on the case concerned’
- ‘Well, dearly as I love my friends, they are the last people in the world I'd want turning up mob-handed on a date of mine.’
- ‘‘They turned up about seven and just went in mob-handed,’ said one neighbour who declined to be named.’
- ‘Last August a mob-handed police raid whisked them off without any warning and banged them up behind the barbed wire of the nearest detention centre.’
- ‘Our problem is we are the most law-abiding community, the pensioners - we weren't brought up to go mob-handed anywhere.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.