Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A compilation of favourite pieces of music, typically by many different artists, recorded on to tape or another medium by an individual.
- ‘Spencer and I were casually aimless in Newtown giving ourselves caffeine shakes and writing a list of pirate songs for my pirate mixtape.’
- ‘If you haven't made mix tapes you either don't love music, aren't at all romantic, or both.’
- ‘It is worth asking whether, by modeling themselves on homemade mix tapes, commercial mixes have the potential functionally to displace home mixes.’
- ‘Every mix tape should contain at least one moment of nostalgia.’
- ‘Offerings of vinyl pants and spiked bracelets are preferable, but mixed tapes will more likely guarantee good results.’
- ‘Oh well, might as well have a mix-tape for the road trip.’
- ‘It sounds more like a fantastic mix tape by one talented DJ for an underground party.’
- ‘And I need to find time to make some mix tapes for the drive.’
- ‘You could give the same box of records to 10 DJs and get 10 very different mixed tapes.’
- ‘Really, any Sabbath song will fit perfectly into any stoner mixtape.’
- ‘Also look out for the albums, DVDs, videos and mixtapes!’
- ‘For many people, especially the young, ringtones are as musically viable as a favorite mixtape was a generation ago.’
- ‘Now, granted, this mixtape technically came out in 2004.’
- ‘The mix tape, however, is a recurring theme in their work, a theme drawn from the dawn of their own romance.’
- ‘There are many of us who believe that an ace mixtape is all it takes to spur on a great romance.’
- ‘I can't recall just how many people at school asked me to do them a mix tape.’
- ‘Therefore you need an eclectic smorgasbord of aural delicacies to keep the true essence of a mixtape intact.’
- ‘A big mixtape has to be an event.’
- ‘I also write concert reviews, the odd essay, and love assembling digital mixtapes.’
- ‘She was psyched for the comic books and mix tape.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.