One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular (especially in tennis and badminton) a game or competition involving sides each consisting of a man and a woman.
- ‘While the three-day competition saw the domination of the Malaysian men, the women's doubles and mixed doubles titles were captured by Singapore.’
- ‘The championship will include team events, singles and mixed doubles.’
- ‘The result was not known till the final match, the number 1 mixed doubles.’
- ‘This did not bode well for the mixed doubles tournament on Wednesday.’
- ‘The format for the knockout competition consisted of four singles matches, a boys and girls doubles game and two mixed doubles match ups.’
- ‘The two have paired together at Wimbledon in the mixed doubles competition.’
- ‘OK, so she plays a mean game of mixed doubles, but her singles form recently has been awful.’
- ‘Two out of three mixed doubles matches extended right into three games, keeping both teams on their toes.’
- ‘The singles events each have 64 entrants and the doubles 32-there is no mixed doubles tournament.’
- ‘The super tiebreak system - in which the winner is the first to score 10 points - is being employed in the mixed doubles for the second year.’
- ‘She is currently No. 1 womens and mixed doubles badminton player, and has gained twenty caps so far.’
- ‘She is also a former Wimbledon champion, winning both the women's doubles and mixed doubles competitions.’
- ‘Perhaps a mixed doubles tournament would be a better choice for promotion.’
- ‘Which British pair won silver in the Olympic badminton mixed doubles?’
- ‘One burst of centre court rain and you're propelled into a pre-recorded broadcast of that morning's mixed doubles first round from a court so far from the crowds it's barely in London.’
- ‘Wimbledon fortnight is here, and so are mixed doubles on the grass of York.’
- ‘She retired in 1997 with 14 singles, 20 doubles and three mixed doubles championship wins.’
- ‘It also holds monthly American tournaments, which involves mixed doubles games where players draw for a partner.’
- ‘Due to international commitments only one match was possible in the mixed doubles this week.’
- ‘She claimed a tour-high seven women's doubles titles, as well as the Australian Open and Wimbledon mixed doubles crowns.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.