One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An olive-green Asian crab with hairy pincers that has been introduced into Europe, where it lives in fresh water and estuaries and can become a pest.
- ‘As we wandered around the first section of the aquarium, peering into tanks and adoring the cuddly-looking mitten crab, we discovered a tank that seemed to have nothing in it.’
- ‘The mitten crab was first recorded in the River Aller near Weser in Germany, but has since spread throughout northern Europe as well as North America.’
- ‘For the many children participating it was a good opportunity to get close to mitten crabs, shrimp, fresh water mussels and even eels, as well as to a lot of deliciously slithery mud!’
- ‘In Asia the mitten crab is considered a delicacy.’
- ‘According to this report, Chinese mitten crabs are recent marine invaders believed to have arrived via the ballast water of vessels from the Far East.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.