One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An olive-green Asian crab with hairy pincers that has been introduced into Europe, where it lives in fresh water and estuaries and can become a pest.
Eriocheir sinensis, family Grapsidae
- ‘The mitten crab was first recorded in the River Aller near Weser in Germany, but has since spread throughout northern Europe as well as North America.’
- ‘For the many children participating it was a good opportunity to get close to mitten crabs, shrimp, fresh water mussels and even eels, as well as to a lot of deliciously slithery mud!’
- ‘In Asia the mitten crab is considered a delicacy.’
- ‘According to this report, Chinese mitten crabs are recent marine invaders believed to have arrived via the ballast water of vessels from the Far East.’
- ‘As we wandered around the first section of the aquarium, peering into tanks and adoring the cuddly-looking mitten crab, we discovered a tank that seemed to have nothing in it.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.