One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The medium-sized companies in a country, viewed as an economic unit.‘there is a growing political consensus on the need to improve the flow of finance to the Mittelstand’
- ‘Germany used to be a country which was characterized in many respects by a Mittelstand, which included a lot of machine-tool and similar kinds of firms - 5 to 200 people.’
- ‘Detractors say the law, a pre-election gift to labor unions, boosts bureaucracy and costs, especially for the hard-pressed Mittelstand.’
- ‘It has maintained its Mittelstand of medium-sized firms, despite the fear that the euro, over-regulation and high labour costs would kill it off.’
- ‘It's also a major lender to the Mittelstand, which make up the backbone of the German economy.’
- ‘National Socialism is a social movement of the old and new Mittelstand (white-collar workers and public employees) and of the peasantry.’
- ‘The macroeconomic and political case for a diverse farm industry with multiple small and medium-sized businesses, like the famous Mittelstand manufacturing economy in Germany, is stability.’
- ‘Yes, they have a small stock market, takeovers are very difficult and most capital is provided by the banks, especially to the Mittelstand companies that are the engine room of their economy.’
- ‘Their counterparts on the continent were perceived more clearly as a small business group, identified by the German term Mittelstand or the French classe moyenne.’
- ‘All of them are in competition over who can best represent the interests of big business, cuddle up to the Mittelstand (medium-sized businesses), introduce low-wage jobs and reduce employees' rights.’
- ‘The coalition document also calls for support for the Mittelstand (medium-sized business), but without providing any exact figures.’
- ‘In the case of Mittelstand firms, such decisions are normally made by the company president/chairperson.’
- ‘This is the high-tech Mittelstand, in Germany, which is very essential to the success of Germany, as an economy which is allowed to be successful.’
German, literally ‘middle group’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.