One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A substance that induces or stimulates mitosis.
- ‘In vitro tests of immune function in avian wildlife include proliferation of lymphocytes in response to various mitogens and phagocytosis of fluorescent particles by monocytes.’
- ‘Cells from each individual were tested at 3 different concentrations of the mitogens for optimum stimulation.’
- ‘The technique of three-color flow cytometry was used to generate precise estimates of cytokine responses to cells collected from the blood, cultured and stimulated with a mitogen.’
- ‘Platelet-derived growth factor is a major polypeptide growth factor found in human serum, platelets and fibroblasts and is a potent mitogen for cells of mesenchymal origin.’
- ‘Pokeweed mitogen stimulates both T and B cells.’
1960s: from mitosis + -gen.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.