Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
verb[NO OBJECT]Northern English
1 Make a fuss; moan:‘oh men—don't they mither?’
protest, grumble, moan, whine, bleat, carp, cavil, lodge a complaint, make a complaint, make a fussView synonyms
- ‘They way he tells it you'd think we were all of us permanently roaming about the land in sackcloth and ashes, wailing and mithering.’
- ‘Once, on holiday in Leeds, it was pouring with rain and me and my brother were mithering because we were bored, so Dad decided we'd go to the central bus depot and catch the first bus that came in.’
- ‘We can tut, mither, and blame them for why our athletes are absolutely rubbish.’
- ‘But what's the point of endlessly mithering on about that?’
- ‘It was sufficient however to cause the stampede to now flow in the opposite direction as the crowd mithered around and then scattered in all four directions of town.’
- 1.1[with object] Pester or irritate (someone):‘the pile of bills would mither her whenever she felt good’
badger, hound, annoy, bother, harass, trouble, plague, irritate, irk, chivvy, keep afterView synonyms
- ‘I mither everybody to death and get on people's nerves.’
- ‘I really want to ring Helena, but I feel as though I have been mithering her too much recently.’
- ‘What I cannot deal with is mithering colleagues who constantly bombard you with their insane comments or ways of working.’
- ‘He's like a sulky teenager if you try to shift him before 6.20 am during the week, but if you're not out of bed and getting his breakfast by 6.30 at the weekend, he comes mithering me to get up.’
- ‘They haven't stopped mithering our mailbox since.’
Late 17th century: of unknown origin; compare with Welsh moedrodd to worry, bother.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.