Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Make a mistake in typing (a word or letter)‘you mistyped ‘Fred’ as ‘Freda’’
- ‘While working in the foreign currency department of a major bank as a data entry clerk, D mistyped a sort code and sent the money to parts unknown.’
- ‘Names, addresses or dates of birth get mistyped.’
- ‘‘Twenty million times a day on our network, people mistype domains and don't get what they're looking for,’ he said.’
- ‘If a user leaves out a field, or mistypes their area code, don't treat it as a catastrophe: Subtle errors deserve subtle messages.’
- ‘When I mistyped his name by forgetting a letter he sent me a story - so I'd remember that 'n'.’
- ‘I mistyped something about fourteen hours ago.’
- ‘Configuration files are critical to a game program's well-being, and it's fairly easy to mistype something that causes the entire game to crash or act strangely.’
- ‘Since two passwords are involved, the chances of one of the passwords being mistyped doubles.’
- ‘People who have mistyped social security numbers will have to go through a lengthy process to right the error.’
- ‘Not only have they got the English a bit wrong, though no wronger than corporations often do; the address to which you are invited to click has been mistyped.’
- ‘If I mistyped a domain name, I would get a site that did so many pop-ups and re-spawns that I had to reboot the computer.’
- ‘I mistype my own last name about 20% of the time, for some crazy reason.’
- ‘And, yes, I did not mistype, his name actually was Wall.’
- ‘This way, anyone who linked to your missing page in the past (or just mistyped the URL) is sending visitors to your site map.’
- ‘I do not want to be asked if I want to buy a domain name that I obviously mistyped.’
- ‘Unfortunately you mistyped your email address so I couldn't get back to you.’
- ‘For instance, I habitually mistype the word ‘inspired’ as ‘insipid’ - which has, of course, a completely different meaning.’
- ‘For example, if I search for " measu ’, I have fewer characters to type, which means fewer ways I can mistype my search pattern.’
- ‘I like Boris because I quite often mistype his name as Biros.’
- ‘Such executives could also unwittingly invoke illicit URLs by mistyping the web address of popular software firms, banks or even children's television programmes.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.