Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The action of mistreating or fact of being mistreated; ill-treatment.‘the alleged mistreatment of the animals that perform in those shows’
ill treatment, maltreatment, abuse, ill use, ill usage, beating, rough handling, mishandling, manhandlingmolestation, injury, harm, bullying, persecutionView synonyms
- ‘There is no reminiscing on evidence of any social mistreatment or racial abuse.’
- ‘If there are allegations of mistreatment made, then those allegations are investigated.’
- ‘She called on ministers to boost protection for women, after a report showed widespread mistreatment of pregnant staff by employers.’
- ‘Reports of mistreatment have surfaced recently from detainees, released after a year in custody without charge.’
- ‘He said that allegations of prisoner mistreatment are investigated.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.