One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person in charge of a religious or charitable mission.
- ‘The Bradford Diocesan missioner responsible for outreach said he was impressed.’
- ‘The missioner for multicultural ministries in the Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles, put it another way: ‘In a lot of mainline churches the issues are race and class.’’
- ‘He is at pains to stress that the roles he and wife fulfil are as city missioners, God's workers, not charity employees.’
- ‘Through this decade it lobbied for the appointment of an itinerant woman missioner who could travel around the ‘back-blocks’ areas of New Zealand spreading the gospel and providing contact for isolated women.’
- ‘It was also a fitting tribute to the French missioners of the nineteenth century who had built the church- their presence came alive for Kiely and his wife not in the stones with which they built, but in a simple Christmas hymn.’
- ‘Often the missioners themselves are the converted ones.’
- ‘A limited study of nine contemporary Maryknoll missioners, lay and religious, on four continents, Lives conveys the immediacy of God's presence as manifest in the missioners' everyday lives.’
- ‘They were able to persuade missioners to create settled missions, where there was a sufficiently stable population.’
- ‘The missioners also called to the elderly at Ocean View nursing home.’
- ‘He hopes to invite other lay missioners to educate these young people.’
- ‘His detailed account of Guatemalan and U.S. political intrigue also provides excellent context and important analysis for the heart-wrenching human tragedy that unfolds around the Maryknoll missioner.’
- ‘A missioner tries to give hope to the homeless and poor, seeking change in the world system in order to promote justice and peace in a world of pain.’
- ‘That's one reason why the Episcopal Church established a full-time missioner to CEOs and business ‘strivers’ here two years ago.’
- ‘Business strivers suffer because ‘banks are now freaking out over the crunch and lines of credit are being withdrawn,’ said the Episcopal missioner to the valley's business community.’
- ‘The former Maryknoll missioner to Central America, is still recruiting volunteers and challenging them ‘to do hard things.’’
- ‘I remember the mixture of fascination and terror I felt as a child listening to the Redemptorist missioners in my local Catholic Church describing the afterlife for those who died in the state of sin.’
- ‘It concentrated on the work of an Illinois-born Maryknoll lay missioner who has spent the past nine years working in remote outposts in southern Sudan.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.