Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women.‘she felt she was struggling against thinly disguised misogyny’
jingoism, excessive patriotism, blind patriotism, excessive nationalism, sectarianism, isolationism, excessive loyalty, flag-waving, xenophobia, racism, racialism, racial prejudice, ethnocentrism, ethnocentricityView synonyms
- ‘There is plenty of misogyny in hip-hop, and in our culture in general in fact.’
- ‘In the past I have accused him both of misogyny and a hateful fundamentalism, but I was wrong on both counts.’
- ‘The old comics are on their last legs because foreigner-fearing, homophobic bigotry and misogyny are no longer as acceptable as they once were.’
- ‘When pressed for a reason why, she stammered over her words, not realizing that she might be taken to task for her own misogyny.’
- ‘Their racism, misogyny and emotional brutality become unbelievable in an English setting.’
- ‘His beautifully enunciated vowels and curmudgeonly misogyny were so accurately rendered that he took over the stage whenever he appeared.’
- ‘She defined herself as an engaged cinematographer fighting misogyny and role stereotypes.’
- ‘Twice he has been confronted by people who have tried to take him to task for perceived misogyny.’
- ‘Evidence for this more sober assessment is hate, racism, and misogyny on the Web.’
- ‘The misogyny of early works is a symptom of his own immaturity and the sexual repression of the age.’
- ‘Was the film a brilliant attack on misogyny, or was it simply misogyny?’
- ‘The way she tackled misogyny, sexism, homophobia, grief, and God in her work is really inspiring.’
- ‘This is symptomatic of another link I've noticed with homophobia - that between homophobia and misogyny.’
- ‘People can't choose their skin colour, or their sex or their sexual orientation, which is why racism and misogyny are so repellent.’
- ‘This is the man who has been accused of misogyny.’
- ‘I've seen no misogyny from him or the people around him.’
- ‘Once you've got over all the rampant misogyny and gratuitous, comic-book violence, it's an entertaining night in.’
- ‘It is a travesty that there is still misogyny and sexism in the labor movement.’
- ‘The photos aren't being misogynist and voyeuristic: they are making a statement about misogyny and voyeurism.’
- ‘There is nothing amusing about snobbery, racism, bigotry, misogyny and xenophobia.’
Mid 17th century: from Greek misos hatred + gunē woman.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.