One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Refer to (someone, especially a transgender person) using a word, especially a pronoun or form of address, that does not correctly reflect the gender with which they identify.‘various media outlets have continued to misgender her’
- ‘The papers go out of their way to misgender and belittle, replacing every correct gender reference with one that seems calculated to humiliate.’
- ‘Television news programs have similarly continued to misgender her.’
- ‘Their reports also misgender the trans student several times.’
- ‘Even though they keep misgendering trans people, they still don't treat them the same way they treat folks of (what they think as the) "corresponding" gender.’
- ‘Calling trans women males is a way to misgender us and reinforce the idea that we're not "real women."’
- ‘When trans women are murdered, newspapers commonly misgender them.’
- ‘I hope she was able to be around people who treat her as a valued, valid human being and don't misgender her.’
- ‘By repeatedly misgendering Bal as "him" in her commentary, she does more than simply misinterpret an admittedly ambiguous name.’
- ‘They aren't the only professionals familiar with the case who tend to misgender Brandon when discussing his case.’
- ‘She rarely speaks up when characters misgender her or demean her.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.