One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
noun & adjective
- ‘His patented miserabilist lyrics are sharper than ever - ‘I wrote your name with fireworks in the sky / But you never turned up to see it’ he intones on ‘Serenade’.’
- ‘In the light of this sexist, miserabilist orthodoxy, surely clear-eyed, hard-hearted happiness is the most maddeningly subversive weapon a woman can wield.’
- ‘Contrary to the impression given by some miserabilists today, there is nothing wrong with wanting to be famous.’
- ‘The theatre of fear is a cultural expression of our miserabilist times.’
- ‘No sooner had the heatwave happened than risk managers, health experts and media miserabilists were rolling up their sleeves and warning us about ‘the dangers of heat’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.