One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Gloomy pessimism or negativity.‘the duo spent much of the eighties exploring the lonely outer reaches of miserabilism’
- ‘Salinger's mother was a member of the Scottish diaspora: perhaps Holden Caulfield's existentialist gloom owes more to Scottish miserabilism than to adolescent angst.’
- ‘They exposed my miserabilism for the false consciousness it was.’
- ‘But perhaps Gwyneth was able to clinch the deal by demonstrating that she had some familiarity with existential miserabilism.’
- ‘Rather than being just a study in Scottish miserabilism Burnside's new book is a chilling display case of grotesques, shot through with a bleak and mordant humour.’
- ‘England's World Cup song should embrace the national pastimes of miserabilism and self-deprecation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.