One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of liquids) forming a homogeneous mixture when added together.‘sorbitol is miscible with glycerol’
- ‘This method can only apply to thermoplastic and miscible materials, and it is hard to form a hermetic seal.’
- ‘With regard to this solvent selectivity, acetonitrile is completely miscible in water but forms very weak hydrogen bonds in its capacity as a hydrogen bond acceptor.’
- ‘Vegetable oils can be used to retrofit existing transformers because they are fully miscible with mineral oils and perform the same cooling and insulating functions.’
- ‘It is freely miscible with ethanol, diethylether, acetone, and acetic acid (ethanoic acid).’
- ‘However, ordinary ethanol - the 95% ethanol-water azeotrope - is unsuitable for this use as the water interferes with the gasoline combustion and prevents the ethanol from being miscible with the gasoline.’
- ‘Each of the glycols shown above is completely miscible with water.’
- ‘Acetonitrile is completely miscible with water, but is only a hydrogen bond acceptor and a very weak one at that.’
- ‘The high alkaline cleaners convert the grease into miscible soaps which are able to be rinsed away with water.’
- ‘Alcohols and ethers with higher molecular weights are not miscible in water, however, because the water molecules can not completely surround those molecules.’
- ‘The experiment studies how miscible fluids interact without the interference of gravity.’
- ‘It is miscible with water in all proportions, however, when mixing with water, a contraction of volume and a rise in temperature occurs.’
- ‘Methanol is a suitable medium because it is miscible with water in any concentration, lowers the surface tension and does not alter the wax ultrastructure, which has been demonstrated earlier.’
- ‘It is only partly miscible with water but it is an excellent organic solvent.’
- ‘It is miscible with all commonly used cosmetic oils, is easily emulsified within aqueous formulations, is colorless and can be obtained ‘odor-free.’’
- ‘Ethanol is completely miscible with water and in the manufacture of ethanol it is found that a constant boiling mixture of 95.6% ethanol and 4.4% water is produced.’
Late 16th century: from medieval Latin miscibilis, from Latin miscere ‘to mix’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.