Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having an incorrect position or alignment:‘misaligned headlights’
lopsided, unsymmetrical, crookedView synonyms
- ‘Change detection by this method is a challenging task because soft tissue takes on different shapes at different imaging sessions, resulting in misaligned mammograms.’
- ‘A child's vision should be checked for conditions such as: misaligned eyes, cataracts, and problems that need correction with eyeglasses.’
- ‘If your bite is misaligned, you will clench or grind as a reflex response, which can cause the deep facial muscle that controls the jaw to go into spasm.’
- ‘His rugged-model good looks make it all the more painful when he's shouting at us to hurry, or discovering a minutely misaligned seam on an otherwise perfect cake.’
- ‘But some of the doors on the 14-year-old telescope could be warped; one was misaligned and difficult for an astronaut to close a full decade ago.’
- ‘This energy field can become unbalanced, misaligned, obstructed, or out of tune.’
- ‘His skull was so misaligned that his back teeth had clamped together the duty nurse told a reporter ‘it was as if his face had inverted.’’
- ‘Chiropractors who believe that slightly misaligned vertebrae can cause disease often use machines or small hand-held spring-loaded mallets to tap misaligned vertebrae back into place.’
- ‘Small misaligned number plates make it difficult to identify speeding motorcyclists and therefore they remain a danger on our roads.’
- ‘Adjustments can help you maintain your full range of motion, which protects against muscle strain during workouts and reduces joint dysfunction by ensuring that your joints aren't misaligned.’
- ‘According to the National Institutes of Health, most misaligned bites (technically known as malocclusions) are so minor that they do not require treatment.’
- ‘The team calculated that children who sucked on dummies or their thumbs - non-nutritive sucking - were twice as likely to have misaligned teeth as those who did not.’
- ‘In still another embodiment, visible spectrum detection of our out-of-phase digital watermark provides a clue as to whether a printing process needs calibration or is misaligned.’
- ‘The door swung open with a squeal of misaligned hinges and I squinted into glow of the lantern on the wall opposite.’
- ‘Sometimes the decoration was misaligned, possibly because the decorator was overworked or distracted.’
- ‘They are full of cracked or misaligned paving slabs or kerbstones, running fissures and uneven surfaces everywhere.’
- ‘Suppose the screw is misaligned, there may not be a second chance as reorientation will reduce the hold of the screws.’
- ‘The facet joints (small stabilizing joints between and behind adjacent vertebrae) may become misaligned and eventually wear out with age.’
- ‘If that was the cause, and it seems the most likely, then the misaligned burner is something which has not arisen as a result of anything my client's company did.’
- ‘It's common for a baby's eyes to sometimes appear misaligned or crossed at birth.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.