Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Address (a letter, parcel, email, etc.) wrongly.‘a misaddressed email’
- ‘In my defense it had been misaddressed and hadn't arrived until March, but that's still significantly bad I missed it.’
- ‘South Dakota law says such a misaddressed ballot should simply be forwarded back to the original county.’
- ‘One you hear a lot about is ‘IP TTL’ (a part of the Internet Protocol specification where routers are supposed to subtract 1 from a header field, to prevent a misaddressed packet from floating around the Internet forever).’
- ‘This is typical of many misaddressed letters that we get through the Mail Centres on a regular basis.’
- ‘I happened to receive a piece of misaddressed email on the subject.’
- ‘I keep getting misaddressed post meant for downstairs plonked on my doormat.’
- ‘It was a misaddressed e-mail she playfully responded to, soon leading into an epistolary intimacy, the way only letters and words can reveal each other.’
- ‘A Reverse Non-Delivery Report attack occurs when the spammer takes advantage of a server's inherent ability to return email that is misaddressed.’
- ‘Well as luck would have it, the beancounters misaddressed the finance reporting output, and it appears that our cost centre is over twenty thousand quid underspent this quarter - due to under-spending in the last quarter.’
- ‘The letter, although misaddressed, evidences a continuing attempt to achieve a settlement.’
- ‘As you might gather, I've been getting a few misaddressed messages, so I thought I'd remind people about this.’
- ‘Unfortunately, as Doris misaddresses her letter, it only arrives on Friday.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.