One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very smooth reflective finish produced on the surface of a metal.
- ‘These are shaped to the desired contours and are usually made of hardened tool steel ground and lapped to a mirror finish.’
- ‘Outside, nothing had changed: there were four guards on duty in the hall, standing at attention with armor and accoutrements polished to a mirror finish.’
- ‘Available in three sizes, 200, 400 and 600 mm, the plastic globe has a metallized mirror finish and can be used as a pendant fitting, mounted in a stand, or simply left lying on the floor.’
- ‘They were wearing their camouflage battle utility uniforms but they were pressed and starched and their combat boots were spit shined to a mirror finish.’
- ‘Check out the reflection on the main unit, it's virtually a mirror finish.’
- ‘The outside was black stone, polished to a mirror finish and adorned with neon lights spiraling a zigzagging crazily all over the surface.’
- ‘The boys were dressed in identical black tuxedos, each with a signature red bow tie, white shirt, and shoes polished to a mirror finish.’
- ‘A microfinishing machine is designed to correct surface imperfections and to impart a mirror finish to hip joints and other spherical surfaces.’
- ‘It looks great without being over the top, providing a soft blue glow via the LED fans and blue acrylic windows, and the polished Titanium surround gives it a mirror finish that you could almost shave in.’
- ‘The logo is done with a mirror finish, and is said to last longer through wear and tear than before.’
- ‘The bottom of the block is not quite a mirror finish, however, it is quite smooth.’
- ‘It's almost a mirror finish and should help reduce any micro holes that could potentially trap air and so reduce thermal transfer.’
- ‘The base is solid and flat, but doesn't have a polished mirror finish like other sinks do.’
- ‘With 39 entries in total, organisers were delighted by the turnout of utes ranging from latest models to customised classics, all proudly polished to a mirror finish and most of them carrying one or more Australian flags.’
- ‘A little lapping would probably do some good, and it wouldn't take much to bring it to a mirror finish.’
- ‘However the base of the heat sink could use a good lapping to bring it up to a mirror finish.’
- ‘It's a thin fin design, with the base lapped to a mirror finish.’
- ‘If you take a look at the bottom, the base and contact area is ultra-flat with a mirror finish, the result of precision machining to ensure 100% contact with the CPU.’
- ‘They feature slits at the side and a slight mirror finish, with a designer logo at the stems.’
- ‘You can easily see the mirror finish in the above shots, which shows up fingerprints quite easily.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.