Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The symbol −, indicating subtraction or a negative value.
- ‘In this case, the mathematical model has a minus sign, whenever time appears twice.’
- ‘The charges are shown by the plus and minus signs.’
- ‘A plus sign indicates repeat additions and a minus sign indicates repeat deletions, virtually all of which occurred in the variable region.’
- ‘He ignored the minus signs, thereby taking the absolute value of the terms.’
- ‘The reason for the minus sign in Shannon's formula is that the p's here are probabilities, positive quantities between 0 and 1, whose logs are therefore all negative.’
- ‘Undetected genes are labeled with a minus sign.’
- ‘The minus sign (-) designates those who were not acceptable.’
- ‘Yet it all seemed for naught, ancient stock-market quotations or chalked messages on hoardings of the last century, with plus and minus signs featured prominently.’
- ‘A plus sign (+) means the real thickness is greater than the number posted, while a minus sign (-) means the real thickness is less the number posted.’
- ‘When an error was made, a minus sign was displayed instead of a plus sign.’
- ‘Use minus signs to indicate south and west.’
- ‘A minus sign in the result window indicates a negative result.’
- ‘Although this represents a negative number, it is not written with a minus sign.’
- ‘After coming up with the list, he analyzed opportunities by placing up to two plus signs or two minus signs next to each characteristic.’
- ‘Properties following a plus sign are checked; those following a minus sign are ignored.’
- ‘You can browse the menus just by clicking on the plus and minus signs on the Tweak Tree, or in much the same way you do a in a web browser by using the back and forward buttons on the menu bar.’
- ‘The plus sign (+) denotes amplification and the minus sign (-) indicates no amplification.’
- ‘In this case, the plus sign gives an extraneous result, and the minus sign is the one that gives the right conclusion.’
- ‘The opposite movement is achieved by placing a minus sign before the value.’
- ‘One day he painted a plus sign and a minus sign on Karan's bathroom mirror.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.