Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tranquillizer of the kind used to treat anxiety states, especially a benzodiazepine.
- ‘Mr Collis said pharmacies were not only being targeted for methadone, but also benzodiazepines (minor tranquillisers) and cash.’
- ‘The most frequently used drugs are benzodiazepines, which are minor tranquillisers that are used in sleeping medications and so forth.’
- ‘From a clinical standpoint, the most important classes of drugs that influence ventilatory control are the inhalational anesthetics, narcotics, and minor tranquilizers.’
- ‘Tapering and discontinuing mental medicines, benzodiazapines or minor tranquilizers, sleep medicines and antidepressants can almost cut in half the rate of falling.’
- ‘The only two classes of drugs that show any sign of modest increase - at least among 12th graders - are barbiturate sedatives and minor tranquilizers.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.