One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
plural nounAustralian, NZ
The team at the top of a sports league before the finals are played.‘already proclaimed minor premiers, the team swept to a 12-7 lead at half time’
- ‘They now have the week to prepare for the grand final against the minor premiers.’
- ‘They will have a tough start to the season when they take on reigning minor premiers.’
- ‘The minor premiers are looking for their second premiership double in three years and a rare treble to go with their Anzac Cup title.’
- ‘They were minor premiers, and, well deserved winners of the grand final.’
- ‘The team are deserved minor premiers and boast a line of youth.’
- ‘The minor premiers looked a little untidy in the opening minutes.’
- ‘As minor premiers they won the right to choose.’
- ‘The finals are but a few weeks away and the already proclaimed minor premiers took all before them on Saturday night.’
- ‘The premiership leaders shut down their nemesis 6–nil on Saturday, almost certainly securing their position as minor premiers for 2003.’
- ‘They will take on the minor premiers at 11.30 am.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.