One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
plural nounAustralian, NZ
The team at the top of a sports league before the finals are played.‘already proclaimed minor premiers, the team swept to a 12-7 lead at half time’
- ‘The finals are but a few weeks away and the already proclaimed minor premiers took all before them on Saturday night.’
- ‘The premiership leaders shut down their nemesis 6–nil on Saturday, almost certainly securing their position as minor premiers for 2003.’
- ‘The minor premiers looked a little untidy in the opening minutes.’
- ‘The team are deserved minor premiers and boast a line of youth.’
- ‘They will take on the minor premiers at 11.30 am.’
- ‘The minor premiers are looking for their second premiership double in three years and a rare treble to go with their Anzac Cup title.’
- ‘They will have a tough start to the season when they take on reigning minor premiers.’
- ‘They were minor premiers, and, well deserved winners of the grand final.’
- ‘As minor premiers they won the right to choose.’
- ‘They now have the week to prepare for the grand final against the minor premiers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.