One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bishop or knight.
- ‘These include pawn endgames with rook versus a minor piece and double rook endgames.’
- ‘Also important is the number of pawns on the board, especially when the minor piece is the knight.’
- ‘His two bishops are potentially very strong (and his dark-squared bishop already the best minor piece on the board), and white's g and e-pawns are targets.’
- ‘So Black gets a rook and pawn for the two minor pieces plus pressure on the e and f-files.’
- ‘In particular, he focuses on pawn play and the minor pieces as well as the Exchange sacrifice.’
Early 19th century: named in contrast to the rook or queen.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.