Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in the UK) a minister ranking below a Secretary of State:‘the Minister of State for Education’
- ‘It was led by Ireland's Minister of State for the Marine, Mr John Browne, T.D. who was accompanied by Mr. Hugh Byrne, Chairman of Bord Iascaigh Mhara.’
- ‘She looks great, is intelligent, articulate etc but I was on Q&A with her and I asked her afterwards why she didn't challenge Noel Ahern, Minister of State on one topic.’
- ‘He was then promoted to Minister of State at the same department just over a year later in July 1998.’
- ‘The result, 11,000 signatures on a petition that was handed over to the Minister of State at the Department of Health in November 2002.’
- ‘The Minister of State at the Department of Trade and Industry is responsible for e-commerce within the government.’
- ‘Two new health centres in Hounslow were opened by the Minister of State for NHS Delivery last week.’
- ‘The launch, which took place in Dublin's St Stephen's Green, was attended by Minister of State at the Department of Health and Children Brian Lenihan.’
- ‘Under the Rainbow Coalition, he served as a Minister of State at the Department of Health from 1994-1997.’
- ‘THE Minister of State for Agriculture and Food, Liam Aylward, has launched a new series of Teagasc leaflets on hedgerow management for farmers.’
- ‘The Minister of State said that Bord Gais and his Department have no plans for the development.’
- ‘As a politician he became Minister of State and was one of the best known political figures of his time.’
- ‘Conor was appointed as Minister of State at the Department of Foreign Affairs last week.’
- ‘The event, in Alcuin College at the University of York, will feature the Minister of State for Pensions, Malcolm Wicks.’
- ‘I welcome the comment last night by the Minister of State, Deputy Browne, that he will address and examine this issue.’
- ‘He has since served as a Minister of State and a Shadow Secretary of State.’
- ‘The store was presented with the Excellence Ireland National Hygiene Mark by Minister of State for the Department of Agriculture and Food Noel Treacy.’
- ‘The Minister of State is responsible to the Prince, not to the National Council elected by a general suffrage.’
- ‘Evaluation of the CDSPs will be launched by Frank Fahey, T.D., Minister of State at Forum, Letterfrack on Tuesday, 10th December.’
- ‘‘We're working on it as best we can,’ said Minister of State for Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs, Noel Ahern.’
- ‘Sir Nicholas Bonsor was a Minister of State in the Foreign Office in the last Conservative Government.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.