One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A television drama shown in a small number of episodes, often on consecutive nights.
- ‘Today the commercial television networks have virtually abandoned the miniseries format.’
- ‘Currently in the works is a sitcom-style miniseries in which viewers can influence the actions of characters with a click of the mouse.’
- ‘The problem with so many miniseries is that television studios can't afford to hire a top-notch cast.’
- ‘That makes the universal affection for the BBC's 1986 miniseries The Singing Detective seem that much more atypical.’
- ‘Recently, she finished writing a teleplay for a miniseries called Miraculous Journey.’
- ‘But more than simply a stiff costume drama in space suits, the miniseries is smart in both its telling and its look.’
- ‘The miniseries proved so popular that more editions followed in 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, and 1997.’
- ‘I'm looking for a copy of the PBS miniseries Mother Love, starring Diana Rigg.’
- ‘The concept album is a different attempt to harmonise the traditional short segments of popular music with the long narrative line of the novel, opera, TV miniseries, or stage drama.’
- ‘They pioneered the idea of the miniseries: six hours of television to cover the breadth of such novels as Sinclair Ross's As for Me and My House and Ernest Buckler's The Mountain and the Valley.’
- ‘These days, the first episode of any new series or miniseries has to start with some sort of attention-getter, in order to lure in viewers and keep them from changing the channel after the first break.’
- ‘Nevertheless, for a TV miniseries, the special effects are respectable on the whole.’
- ‘The SciFi Network's new Dune miniseries begins Sunday night.’
- ‘One surprising facet of this television miniseries without commercials is that, due to its anthological format and brisk pace, the breaks don't really show very badly at all.’
- ‘These novelas air during prime time, much like a miniseries, and typically run about six months.’
- ‘But enough of these meanderings, here are some of the series, films, miniseries, specials and, yes, game shows that aspired to leave their imprimatur on the pundits.’
- ‘A television miniseries produced in 1997 stuck much closer to the novel; unfortunately, Warner Bros. has not released it on DVD.’
- ‘The miniseries is a wonderful treat for fans - filled with lots of gee-whiz special effects, battles, drama, emotion, joy, and tears.’
- ‘Being a made-for-TV miniseries for Canadian television, production values are about as poor as you might expect.’
- ‘John Voight plays the late pontiff in a CBS miniseries, ‘Pope John Paul II.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.