One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A computer of medium power, more than a microcomputer but less than a mainframe.
- ‘At that time, the lab had a specialized real-time minicomputer: a Hewlett-Packard HP - 1000 F series.’
- ‘All of a sudden, IBM PCs exchanged information easier with typical minicomputer systems than they did with mainframe computers.’
- ‘Among other industrial spin-offs of Project Whirlwind was the minicomputer, developed by Kenneth Hogan of the Digital Equipment Corporation.’
- ‘To do this, Compaq acquired Tandem Computer, maker of famously reliable mainframes, and then Digital Equipment Corporation, the original maker of minicomputers.’
- ‘Lam and his colleagues began the first leg of the computation in 1980, using a minicomputer to run through the simplest cases.’
- ‘The company then reverted to its old systems, homegrown applications it had built for digital equipment vax minicomputers in the 1980s.’
- ‘During his master's work he built a small robot with whiskers and photoelectric eyes controlled by a minicomputer, and wrote a thesis on a computer language for artificial intelligence.’
- ‘History buffs will recall that Sun Microsystems began in the 1980s with one goal, to put the power of an engineer's minicomputer onto his desktop.’
- ‘The commercial array processors, coupled with minicomputers from Digital Equipment Corporation and Data General, were often used as supercomputers.’
- ‘In the 1980s geeks and hackers were tied together by a love of machine and code, with fierce and regular rifts developing between those who believed in the PC or the minicomputer, the keyboard or the mouse, Intel or Motorola.’
- ‘A personal data assistant is a minicomputer that can fit in the palm of your hand.’
- ‘The sound and speech processor is a minicomputer that processes sound into digital information, and then sends that information to the implant package in the form of electrical signals.’
- ‘The project came in on time, it came in on budget - and it was a miserable failure, because basically you needed a minicomputer for every person.’
- ‘That's why the minicomputer makers are gone, that's why the PC makers are going; the growth is in the modern clients.’
- ‘Agent software is now available for just about every type of hardware device, from the latest communications servers through to the most ancient of Digital Equipment PDP - 11 minicomputers.’
- ‘The first Unix was developed at the Bell Labs in 1971 for PDP minicomputers.’
- ‘There is a community, a shared culture, of expert programmers and networking wizards that traces its history back through decades to the first time-sharing minicomputers and the earliest ARPAnet experiments.’
- ‘It had to kiss that goodbye, when minicomputers and then PCs and servers proliferated.’
- ‘The lowly transistor, for example, killed the vacuum tube, while PCs, once derided as toys, snuffed minicomputers and currently threaten servers from the likes of Sun Microsystems Inc.’
- ‘Because of this, not only are developing countries far more dependent on older PCs, such as Pentium I and PII systems, but even the larger minicomputers often need to be supported long after their officially supported life is over.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.