Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A very short skirt or dress.‘a leather mini’
- ‘Some were attired in figure-hugging minis, some were dressed in sparkling evening wear and a few in casuals.’
- ‘I was under my bed looking for my heels that would go nice with my black leather mini that I had on.’
- ‘Michelle had on a black leather mini and a shirt that showed off her midriff and belly button.’
- ‘She has on a short mini with a sparkly pink belt and bell sleeve shirt.’
- ‘Fortunately, dresses easily accommodate ages three to five, evolving from maxis to minis over the years.’
- ‘Navy blue, V-neck fitted tops, with chocolate brown minis were cute and easily conceivable.’
- ‘Inspired by the life span of insects, Kyra Nolan created blue corsets, pointy hem dresses, felted minis and mesh bodystockings over rubber halter tops.’
- ‘Break out the cutesy A-line skirts and minis, and, of course, killer stockings.’
- ‘Those for the mini said the news that the short skirt was no longer fashionable made no difference to them.’
- ‘Enid stays defiant in fat-heeled boots, tight minis, a raptor tee shirt and purple lipstick.’
- ‘So I quickly run up stairs and slip on my pink mini, pleated skirt, and my tank top and run down stairs.’
- ‘When dressing for oneself, minis, which are very much in style, are an obvious choice for any fashion fiend this winter.’
- ‘She had on a clingy black halter top, a leather mini, and black knee - length suede boots.’
- ‘You don't show up at a corporate board meeting in a denim mini and a corset top.’
- ‘Bianca had on the same sort of top as me but the one she wore had sleeves while mine was sleeveless and she had on a short denim mini.’
- ‘She found a short denim mini, with green leggings and a pair of wedge sandals.’
- ‘Wear a skirt, but not a bloody mini, and a Marks and Sparks blouse.’
- ‘I was wearing his favorite outfit, a red mini, with a tight shirt that was cut to show off cleavage.’
- ‘Even if I did wear really short minis it still needed to be in my comfort zone.’
- ‘You may get more buzz with the minis but buzz rarely gets you anywhere with the store buyers.’
2short for minicomputer
- ‘If you want a Mac mini to be your media hub, chances are it's because it's small and dinky and looks more like a space-age waffle toaster than a computer.’
- ‘It's interesting how Kevin Rollins' comments coincided with the release of the Mac mini.’
- ‘A faster Mac mini with an 80GB disk will also be available for $599 and both ship in eleven days time.’
- ‘Desktops did well with sales growing from 416,000 to 687,000 units with the impact of the Mac mini.’
- ‘But the minis are CPUs only so you need to add your own display, keyboard and mouse.’
- ‘So, a setup with a Mac mini, if you had nothing to start with, can cost less than $700.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.