One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who works in a mine, especially a coal mine.
- ‘The latest report by mine management said eight mineworkers were alive, four had died and two were seriously injured and had been separated from the group.’
- ‘The Hunter Valley decision comes just three months after Rio Tinto was found guilty of victimising coal mineworkers at its Blair Athol mine in Central Queensland in June 1998.’
- ‘On 16 December a march of several thousand mineworkers converged on Rothbury in an effort to prevent the resumption of work, but were refused admission to the mine.’
- ‘If the closures go ahead, hundreds more coal mineworkers and their families in hard hit regions will be thrown on the industrial scrapheap.’
- ‘Thousands of Zimbabwean mineworkers from mines owned by Rio Tinto have gone on strike to demand a 150 percent salary increment.’
- ‘My father died from mineworkers ' pneumoconiosis and my father-in-law died of emphysema.’
- ‘Pressure last night mounted on the Government to end the shame of some former mineworkers crippled by coal dust being denied proper compensation.’
- ‘Billiton disposed of its precious metals assets to Gencor - which is still listed on the Johannesburg Securities Exchange - and many of the gold mines that the diseased mineworkers were employed at have ceased operation.’
- ‘In 1920 black mineworkers staged a major stoppage following the arrest of two miners.’
- ‘At its peak in 1911, the colliery employed 2,700 mineworkers, though only 250 of these were indigenous to Warsop Vale.’
- ‘There are mineworkers hoping to become nurses, police officers, prison officers, driving instructors and yacht skippers.’
- ‘The supervisors have a statutory responsibility for the health and safety of mineworkers, so if the strikes go ahead, pits are expected to close.’
- ‘Mozambican women have been sold as wives and domestic labourers to mineworkers, babies are trafficked for adoption and people are trafficked for ritual muti killings.’
- ‘Sixty mineworkers defied a Coal Industry Tribunal order this week to disband their picket line outside Wesfarmers Premier Coal in Collie, Western Australia.’
- ‘But these sectarian Baptists find their interests intertwined with the mineworkers, many of whom are their fellow members or clergy.’
- ‘Hundreds of coal mineworkers descended on Sydney this morning for a march on Australian Industrial Relations Commission over a decision they fear will costs lives.’
- ‘More than 160 mineworkers at the Pasminco Rosebery mine in Tasmania went on strike for 48 hours last Sunday.’
- ‘The last serious strike by mineworkers was at the former Tsumeb Copper Limited mine in 1997, just before it was liquidated.’
- ‘At Harmony Gold, 9,000 mineworkers at the mine backed the one-day strike, closing down operations.’
- ‘The Commission ordered the reinstatement of all 16 coal mineworkers along with full back pay to July 1998.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.