One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A corticosteroid which is involved with maintaining the salt balance in the body, such as aldosterone.
- ‘The amount of licorice ingested daily by patients with mineralocorticoid excess syndromes appears to vary over a wide range, from as little as 1.5 g daily to as much as 250 g daily.’
- ‘These findings indicate that a decrease in urine volume and urinary sodium excretion in glycyrrhizin-administered rats may be related to mineralocorticoid receptors.’
- ‘Diagnosing hypothyroidism or mineralocorticoid deficiency as a cause of hyponatremia requires a high index of suspicion, because the clinical signs can be quite subtle.’
- ‘The only positive finding was orthostasis on the tilt test; a mineralocorticoid had been prescribed.’
- ‘The metabolic activity of glycyrrhizin has been known to resemble that of a mineralocorticoid.’
- ‘Consequently, fenugreek may precipitate hypokalemia when used in combination with some diuretics, laxatives, mineralocorticoids, or other hypokalemic agents.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.