Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘mineral spirits is a mixture of light hydrocarbons’North American term for white spirit
- ‘Paste wax helps to cover small cracks and checks in old finishes, and can easily be removed with mineral spirits when desired.’
- ‘All of the materials, including the mineral spirits and non-slip additives, are available at local paint stores or home centers.’
- ‘Wipe all surfaces with a clean rag saturated with mineral spirits (paint thinner) to remove any surface contamination.’
- ‘Occasionally, a bath of thinner or mineral spirits, followed by a warm soapy water wash and clean water rinse may be necessary after normal cleaning procedures.’
- ‘Do not clean your hands or other skin areas with gasoline, kerosene, mineral spirits, or turpentine.’
- ‘Smudges from the compound can be removed later with a cloth dipped in mineral spirits or turpentine.’
- ‘Remove it with a cloth dampened with mineral spirits or synthetic turpentine.’
- ‘You'll have to wait longer for it to dry, and you'll have to use mineral spirits for cleanup, but it's worth it.’
- ‘To find out what wood look like without stain but just with a clear finish, wet a section of it with mineral spirits.’
- ‘Water-repellent preservatives are mixtures of a solvent such as mineral spirits or other paint thinners, wax, a resin or drying oil and a wood preservative.’
- ‘Rags containing smelly solvents like mineral spirits or WD - 40 should be rinsed out with soap and water and let air dry before joining the rest of the laundry.’
- ‘Most of the wax can be stripped with rags kept moistened with mineral spirits or other paint thinners.’
- ‘Clean the surface well with mineral spirits or water as recommended by the manufacturer.’
- ‘When you come back to your project, just stir the water or mineral spirits into the paint.’
- ‘If this happens, use mineral spirits (paint thinner) to dissolve the residue.’
- ‘Thoroughly clean the surface of the piece with a commercial wood cleaner, mineral spirits, or wax remover, to determine whether the present finish is salvageable.’
- ‘Plus, there are no irretrievable brushstrokes, and better yet no headaches from chalk dust or mineral spirits.’
- ‘To change the consistency of paint, try odorless mineral spirits, perhaps mixed with a dab of linseed oil.’
- ‘Scrubbing with the coarse cloth and mineral spirits may take the sheen off the door.’
- ‘They will look different from the rest of the wood when wiped with mineral spirits; lighter spots that show the mineral spirits did not penetrate evenly.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.