One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
usually with negative Use polite or moderate expressions to indicate disapproval.‘I hope she and her colleagues won't mince matters’
- ‘Father Ton is a unique personality who in forthright conversations does not mince matters.’
- ‘Many thoughtful men heard you and have not minced matters in their open approbation of your sermon.’
- ‘You must forsake all that, young man, or old man either; it is no use mincing matters with you.’
- ‘The Hadis has not minced matters, but divulged the supreme mission of Islam with absolute frankness.’
- ‘He was not one to mince matters, nor did he wrap up inconvenient topics in persiflage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.