One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of a genus which includes the musk plants and the monkey flower.
- ‘Small hardy geraniums, lobelia and mimulus all do well in this shady spot and will flower for months.’
- ‘One may see astilbe, columbine, hosta, ferns, begonias and impatiens, along with the less common, yet colorful, annuals foxglove, torenia, Viola cornuta, mimulus and Geranium endressii.’
- ‘Standing next to another pot stuffed with pink and white dahlias, orange mimulus and white lobelia, they should provide colour until the first frosts.’
- ‘Fuchsias are also good as space fillers as are petunias, mimulus and marigolds.’
- ‘Then a length idyllic by the river where mimulus flowered yellow and orange in a spring, scented woods were lush with sedge and ferns, and pastures heavy with scree are wrestled into order by extravagant dry stone walls.’
Modern Latin, apparently a diminutive of Latin mimus ‘mime’, perhaps with reference to its mask-like flowers.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.