One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The semen of a male fish.
- ‘She broadcasts her eggs into the current where the males spread their milt to fertilize them.’
- ‘Kin groups were produced by harvesting the eggs and milt from wild adult Atlantic salmon that were caught at the River Braan, Perthshire, Scotland.’
- ‘Thus, while attempting to ‘collect’ the egg-spots, the female ingests milt ejected near them by the male and ensures fertilization.’
- ‘Eggs and milt are ejected by sudden lashings of the caudal fin.’
- ‘Males discharge their milt onto the sand near the female and then immediately start to wriggle towards the water.’
- ‘As the eggs and milt are released, males thrash their tails wildly, apparently to help scatter the eggs.’
- ‘Yet 8 of the 16 phenotypic males did not produce milt by abdominal pressure, and may have been intersexes.’
- ‘Interruption or handling, even during spawning, prevents the discharge of eggs or milt.’
- ‘When the male's body shivers the female is stimulated and the eggs and milt are released.’
- ‘Eggs and milt from each individual were transported on ice to the Hagen Aqualab facilities (University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada).’
- ‘Male whites follow the writhing females, releasing their milt to fertilize the eggs.’
- ‘As she releases the eggs on the bed, the male simultaneously releases milt to fertilize them.’
- ‘Testes were then slit open, and free milt was distributed on a slide.’
- ‘I watched the darker, fierce-kyped male ease in front of those suns without once touching the female, and send milt melting down into her nest of stones.’
- ‘The cod form large shoals close to the sea bed where the eggs and milt are released.’
- ‘I was taught how to strip fish of their eggs, then fertilise the eggs with a small amount of milt from a cock fish.’
- ‘Rinella's meal, which took days of preparation and required ingredients like snapping turtle, swallow's nest and perch milt, was definitely not a novice-level culinary adventure.’
- ‘Equal volumes of milt from a cuckolder and a parental were mixed and dilution-activated, and the paired milt was released over a sample of 30-100 eggs from one of the females.’
- ‘When spawning is actually taking place the male takes a position to hold the female against the bottom of the redd and both of the fish vibrate intensely while eggs and milt are simultaneously discharged.’
- ‘Paddlefish are broadcast spawners whereby multiple males swim near and release milt onto the eggs liberated by a female.’
- 1.1count noun A sperm-filled reproductive gland of a male fish.
- ‘"Soft roe" (also called "white roe") is the milt (male reproductive glands filled with seminal fluid) of the male fish.’
- ‘Soft roe or milt is the male fish's reproductive gland.’
Old English milte ‘spleen’, of Germanic origin; perhaps related to melt. The current sense dates from the late 15th century.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.