Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Sorghum of a drought-resistant variety which is an important cereal in the central US.
- ‘They have a 2500-acre grain operation with wheat, soybeans, corn, and milo.’
- ‘They will pose a problem later for milo and corn growers.’
- ‘The cost of producing an acre of milo is $50 per acre less than corn.’
- ‘Most milo fields look good and haven't run out of moisture yet.’
- ‘Beans and milo are also impacted, but perhaps not as much as the corn.’
- ‘‘We saw no sign of corn borers in milo fields just a few miles away from the infested ones,’ he said.’
- ‘Dryland milo yields are ranging from 20 to 110 bushels per acre with an average of 60.’
- ‘Plantings behind soybeans and corn or milo are coming slower.’
- ‘The diet was primarily finely rolled milo, with sorghum silage, soybean meal, urea, and ammonium sulfate.’
- ‘In the meantime, we are conducting trials at the Rogers Memorial Farm to determine the effect of row cleaning with earlier planted milo.’
- ‘Ethanol can be made from virtually any starch feedstock, such as sugar cane, wheat or milo, but most of the fuel ethanol used in the U.S. today is produced from corn and America grows a lot of corn.’
- ‘What cereal grains other than corn, wheat, oats, milo, or barley may be available?’
- ‘When considering last year's drought, many dryland farmers may be asking themselves ‘Should I plant milo or corn, and how much of each should I plant?’’
- ‘They sold milo in March for $4.11 per cwt., quite a bit better than $3.14 at harvest.’
- ‘The corn, milo, and soybeans are okay now, but rain will have to come within the week or losses will start to mount.’
- ‘Fed myself a bowl of hi-low milk and milo cereal.’
- ‘But Schmidt still sells half of his 2,000 acres of crops - milo, irrigated corn, and beans - through NFO.’
- ‘Its elevators handle wheat, corn, soybeans, milo and sunflowers.’
- ‘Cool nights have stalled out many milo fields and concern is mounting about whether the crop will be ready in time.’
- ‘By 1981 the total irrigated acreage had increased to 40,000 acres, and crop diversification had added alfalfa, pinto beans, corn, and milo.’
Late 19th century: from Sesotho maili.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.