Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
One thousandth of a volt.
- ‘You can increase the clock-generator frequency up to 300MHz and the CPU voltage up to 140 millivolts above the default value.’
- ‘It is usually on the order of several tens of millivolts and is relatively constant.’
- ‘Researchers at Ohio State University found that a pint (half a litre) of a cow's bacteria-infested rumen juice produced about 600 millivolts of electricity.’
- ‘When rock membranes form in the laboratory, they create a voltage of 600 millivolts as their thin walls separate the simulated hydrothermal and ocean solutions, which have different ion concentrations.’
- ‘The researchers determined that an electric current of about 40 millivolts flows between the two alloys in each coin.’
- ‘The electrical activity detected by the electrocardiogram machine is measured in millivolts.’
- ‘These currents are largely produced by electrochemical reactions and fluid flow in the subsurface, and the measurable voltages can be up to several hundred millivolts.’
- ‘Moreover, that electrical potential, which ranges up to 10 millivolts, increases with flow speed.’
- ‘A healthy cell contains between 70 and 90 millivolts of energy.’
- ‘In reality there will be some voltage, up to about 100 millivolts, because every circuit has some resistance.’
- ‘Voltages up to several hundred millivolts can be applied before membrane breakdown’
- ‘We developed a new method to determine the amplitude of flickers in terms of millivolts of depolarization.’
- ‘In reality, the output from the sensors on the combine are not grain yield and moisture content but only millivolts.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.