One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
One thousandth of a second.
- ‘If the team applied just a few volts across the heart muscle for a few tens of milliseconds, a second, smaller spiral appeared.’
- ‘Both types of bursts last only a few milliseconds to about a minute.’
- ‘A large variety of gamma-ray burst durations are known, from a few milliseconds to thousands of seconds.’
- ‘Tunable lasers that switch in nanoseconds rather than milliseconds are in prototype.’
- ‘The orbital period of this system is decreasing by 1.2 milliseconds every year.’
- ‘Gamma ray bursts last only from a few milliseconds to about one minute.’
- ‘The enhancement caused by shape change is equivalent to 0.6 milliseconds (per day per century).’
- ‘The speed of swelling and relaxation ranges from 10 milliseconds to a few seconds, Lewis says.’
- ‘Disturbances on a large power grid propagate through the system in milliseconds to fractions of a second.’
- ‘The Earth's rotation is slowing down by a few milliseconds a year, due to the moon's gravity.’
- ‘Competitors will now have to keep the foil's tip on their opponent's target area for a whole 15 milliseconds instead of two milliseconds.’
- ‘In this context, time is measured in milliseconds - thousandths of a second.’
- ‘A single fusion event occurs on the nanometer scale and takes less than a millisecond.’
- ‘Twenty milliseconds is a natural limit for the coherent integration period.’
- ‘This is a relatively short time period often measured in milliseconds.’
- ‘I infer that an atomic clock on the Moon would gain 8 milliseconds per year relative to one on Earth.’
- ‘In contrast, disk systems provide nearly instantaneous access, measured in just milliseconds.’
- ‘The hard disk operates in milliseconds, or thousandths of a second, because it is mechanical.’
- ‘Although she had lived here for about two years now she still took a few milliseconds to find the light switch to turn on the light.’
- ‘Seek time is measured in milliseconds and the fastest drives can access data in around 5ms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.