One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
One thousandth of a second.
- ‘In this context, time is measured in milliseconds - thousandths of a second.’
- ‘The Earth's rotation is slowing down by a few milliseconds a year, due to the moon's gravity.’
- ‘Although she had lived here for about two years now she still took a few milliseconds to find the light switch to turn on the light.’
- ‘This is a relatively short time period often measured in milliseconds.’
- ‘Both types of bursts last only a few milliseconds to about a minute.’
- ‘Twenty milliseconds is a natural limit for the coherent integration period.’
- ‘A single fusion event occurs on the nanometer scale and takes less than a millisecond.’
- ‘Disturbances on a large power grid propagate through the system in milliseconds to fractions of a second.’
- ‘The orbital period of this system is decreasing by 1.2 milliseconds every year.’
- ‘Competitors will now have to keep the foil's tip on their opponent's target area for a whole 15 milliseconds instead of two milliseconds.’
- ‘Seek time is measured in milliseconds and the fastest drives can access data in around 5ms.’
- ‘A large variety of gamma-ray burst durations are known, from a few milliseconds to thousands of seconds.’
- ‘Tunable lasers that switch in nanoseconds rather than milliseconds are in prototype.’
- ‘The speed of swelling and relaxation ranges from 10 milliseconds to a few seconds, Lewis says.’
- ‘The hard disk operates in milliseconds, or thousandths of a second, because it is mechanical.’
- ‘If the team applied just a few volts across the heart muscle for a few tens of milliseconds, a second, smaller spiral appeared.’
- ‘The enhancement caused by shape change is equivalent to 0.6 milliseconds (per day per century).’
- ‘Gamma ray bursts last only from a few milliseconds to about one minute.’
- ‘I infer that an atomic clock on the Moon would gain 8 milliseconds per year relative to one on Earth.’
- ‘In contrast, disk systems provide nearly instantaneous access, measured in just milliseconds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.