Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
One thousandth of a metre (0.039 in.).
- ‘The mean rainfall for September, across much of the country, ranges between a millimetre and some four millimetres.’
- ‘Patches can range from a few millimetres to a few centimetres in size.’
- ‘The firm notes on its Web site that the process can create objects with high precision at scales of less than a thousandth of a millimeter.’
- ‘Love cannot be measured in millimetres, weighed in ounces or unwrapped and sliced.’
- ‘With these branching patterns, roots can be characterized by fractal analysis over a range of scales from about a quarter of a millimetre to several centimetres.’
- ‘Lesion size can vary from a few millimeters to several centimeters.’
- ‘It may be found on any part of the body as a scaly and crusted patch from a few millimeters to many centimeters in diameter.’
- ‘Engine oscillation is held to a few thousandths of a millimeter.’
- ‘Outside, workmen on scaffolding grind and scrape at our walls, breaking in by the millimeter and decibel.’
- ‘Some travel a few millimeters in their lifetimes, others thousands of miles.’
- ‘These vary in width from a few millimetres to a few hundred metres.’
- ‘These things are measured in nanometres, with a nanometre being a millionth of a millimetre, or about as far as a fingernail grows in a second.’
- ‘Nanotechnology uses the scale of the nanometre, equal to one millionth of a millimetre.’
- ‘Lengths range from just a few millimeters to several centimeters.’
- ‘Inches here, millimeters there, it didn't matter; all of the shots were misses.’
- ‘Place a layer about six millimetres (a quarter of an inch) thick on a tray, lined with plastic wrap.’
- ‘Slowly, millimetre by careful millimetre, she inched her hand towards the pouch.’
- ‘The small-scale karren features, usually a few millimetres to a few metres in size, are the most widespread karstic landform.’
- ‘Normal rainfall in the province was between 120 millimeters and 130 millimeters.’
- ‘The sizes often vary from several millimeters to several centimeters.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.