One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
One thousandth of a metre (0.039 in.).
- ‘It may be found on any part of the body as a scaly and crusted patch from a few millimeters to many centimeters in diameter.’
- ‘The small-scale karren features, usually a few millimetres to a few metres in size, are the most widespread karstic landform.’
- ‘Love cannot be measured in millimetres, weighed in ounces or unwrapped and sliced.’
- ‘The firm notes on its Web site that the process can create objects with high precision at scales of less than a thousandth of a millimeter.’
- ‘The mean rainfall for September, across much of the country, ranges between a millimetre and some four millimetres.’
- ‘Outside, workmen on scaffolding grind and scrape at our walls, breaking in by the millimeter and decibel.’
- ‘Inches here, millimeters there, it didn't matter; all of the shots were misses.’
- ‘These things are measured in nanometres, with a nanometre being a millionth of a millimetre, or about as far as a fingernail grows in a second.’
- ‘Place a layer about six millimetres (a quarter of an inch) thick on a tray, lined with plastic wrap.’
- ‘Lesion size can vary from a few millimeters to several centimeters.’
- ‘Normal rainfall in the province was between 120 millimeters and 130 millimeters.’
- ‘Lengths range from just a few millimeters to several centimeters.’
- ‘Slowly, millimetre by careful millimetre, she inched her hand towards the pouch.’
- ‘Patches can range from a few millimetres to a few centimetres in size.’
- ‘The sizes often vary from several millimeters to several centimeters.’
- ‘Some travel a few millimeters in their lifetimes, others thousands of miles.’
- ‘These vary in width from a few millimetres to a few hundred metres.’
- ‘Nanotechnology uses the scale of the nanometre, equal to one millionth of a millimetre.’
- ‘Engine oscillation is held to a few thousandths of a millimeter.’
- ‘With these branching patterns, roots can be characterized by fractal analysis over a range of scales from about a quarter of a millimetre to several centimetres.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.