One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
One thousandth of a litre (0.002 pint).
- ‘At Basildon police station he was found to have 164 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres.’
- ‘Mrs Smith again visited the garage and tested the pump that Mr Devlin had used and found that, in delivering 20 litres of fuel, it was giving 180 millilitres under the measure.’
- ‘The beauty of this scale is that not only can you switch between kilograms and pounds, it also copes with measuring liquids in fluid ounces or millilitres.’
- ‘It is a highly poisonous substance and as little as 30 millilitres is enough to kill a person, with 10 millilitres being enough to cause blindness.’
- ‘The drink-drive limit stands at 80 mg of alcohol in 100 ml of blood and 35 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath.’
- ‘Experimentally, a few milliliters of a volatile liquid are placed in a stoppered flask containing a small orifice.’
- ‘Your baby's milk intake should still be 500 to 600 millilitres (one pint) per day.’
- ‘A canteen cup from those days (I have one) holds about 16 fluid ounces, roughly 500 milliliters.’
- ‘My practice has always been to use 5 milliliters in 500 milliliters of water for the 1: 100 dilution, which may account for the lengthy developing times with some films, but it works just fine.’
- ‘They report that a five-year study shows that eating five apples a week can increase lung capacity by 138 milliliters.’
- ‘Older kids can use glass measuring cups that have different scales written on the sides to find out how one cup compares to 8 ounces or 235 milliliters.’
- ‘The legal limit for flying a plane is 20 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood - one quarter the legal limit for driving a car.’
- ‘A blood test revealed 91 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood, 11 milligrammes over the legal limit of 80.’
- ‘A breath test recorded 85 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of her breath - the legal limit is 35.’
- ‘Ten millilitres of pure methanol can cause blindness and 30 millilitres death, so it is just small amounts.’
- ‘Sergeant Simmons indicated that the lowest reading in breath was 47 micrograms in 100 millilitres of breath.’
- ‘The legal limits are 35 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath or 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood.’
- ‘Blood-alcohol content is measured in milligrams of ethanol per milliliters of whole blood.’
- ‘A cartridge containing between 10 milliliters and 20 milliliters of the fuel solution will provide three hours to four hours of power, he said.’
- ‘A blood sample taken from him and later sent to the forensic lab showed a reading of 193 milligrams in 100 milliliters of blood.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.