One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
One thousandth of a gram.
- ‘The MAA concentration was expressed as milligrams of MAA per gram of creatinine.’
- ‘A blood sample taken from him and later sent to the forensic lab showed a reading of 193 milligrams in 100 milliliters of blood.’
- ‘Evidence that nitrate levels in water exceeded the limit of 50 milligrams per litre was incomplete.’
- ‘The milk from the organic, grain-fed cows had only 5 milligrams of CLA per gram.’
- ‘Dietary labels and guidelines, however, use milligrams, grams, and liters.’
- ‘There will be three typical readings, expressed in milligrams per deciliter.’
- ‘Some drugs are so powerful that a full dose weighs only a few tenths of a milligram, about the weight of a fresh fingerprint.’
- ‘Blood-alcohol content is measured in milligrams of ethanol per milliliters of whole blood.’
- ‘Tests showed that he had 515 milligrams of morphine per litre of blood, more than four times the lethal amount of 120 milligrams per litre of blood.’
- ‘Most physicians recommend a total cholesterol level of 200 milligrams per deciliter of blood.’
- ‘I can miss a gram of protein here or a milligram of glutamine there.’
- ‘The unit can increase dissolved oxygen in the sock by as much as 0.9 milligrams per liter, enough to ensure survival of the fish.’
- ‘Results are reported as milligrams of cholesterol per gram of wet tissue.’
- ‘Take 120 milligrams to 240 milligrams of Ginkgo biloba extract daily for three months.’
- ‘Indonesian clove cigarettes usually contain about 50 milligrams of tar and 3 milligrams of nicotine.’
- ‘Fruit juices, having a potassium content of about 1000 milligrams per liter, play an important role.’
- ‘It's best to keep your total cholesterol level below 200 milligrams per deciliter.’
- ‘Concentrations were expressed as milligrams of glycogen per milligram of soluble protein.’
- ‘The researchers used a dose of either 0.8 or 8 milligrams per kilogram of an animal's body weight.’
- ‘He said a person weighing 60 kilograms should consume no more than 42 milligrams of sulphur dioxide per day.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.