One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
One thousandth of a gram.
- ‘The researchers used a dose of either 0.8 or 8 milligrams per kilogram of an animal's body weight.’
- ‘Some drugs are so powerful that a full dose weighs only a few tenths of a milligram, about the weight of a fresh fingerprint.’
- ‘A blood sample taken from him and later sent to the forensic lab showed a reading of 193 milligrams in 100 milliliters of blood.’
- ‘The milk from the organic, grain-fed cows had only 5 milligrams of CLA per gram.’
- ‘Fruit juices, having a potassium content of about 1000 milligrams per liter, play an important role.’
- ‘Concentrations were expressed as milligrams of glycogen per milligram of soluble protein.’
- ‘I can miss a gram of protein here or a milligram of glutamine there.’
- ‘Results are reported as milligrams of cholesterol per gram of wet tissue.’
- ‘He said a person weighing 60 kilograms should consume no more than 42 milligrams of sulphur dioxide per day.’
- ‘There will be three typical readings, expressed in milligrams per deciliter.’
- ‘Dietary labels and guidelines, however, use milligrams, grams, and liters.’
- ‘The MAA concentration was expressed as milligrams of MAA per gram of creatinine.’
- ‘Blood-alcohol content is measured in milligrams of ethanol per milliliters of whole blood.’
- ‘Evidence that nitrate levels in water exceeded the limit of 50 milligrams per litre was incomplete.’
- ‘Indonesian clove cigarettes usually contain about 50 milligrams of tar and 3 milligrams of nicotine.’
- ‘The unit can increase dissolved oxygen in the sock by as much as 0.9 milligrams per liter, enough to ensure survival of the fish.’
- ‘Most physicians recommend a total cholesterol level of 200 milligrams per deciliter of blood.’
- ‘Take 120 milligrams to 240 milligrams of Ginkgo biloba extract daily for three months.’
- ‘It's best to keep your total cholesterol level below 200 milligrams per deciliter.’
- ‘Tests showed that he had 515 milligrams of morphine per litre of blood, more than four times the lethal amount of 120 milligrams per litre of blood.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.