One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A problem with some computers arising from an inability of the software to deal correctly with dates of 1 January 2000 or later.
- ‘Although this will not cut much ice with cynics, it is the same argument used to explain why the millennium bug failed to have the catastrophic effects predicted.’
- ‘A report issued the same day by the Conference Board of Canada warned that failure to deal immediately with the millennium bug could throw Canada into a recession in the first half of 2000.’
- ‘It seems the flu virus, rather than a computer glitch, turned out to be the real millennium bug.’
- ‘Their fervent hope is that anger at chaos caused by the millennium bug could lead to revulsion powerful enough to prevent the digital ascendancy.’
- ‘Disappointingly, the millennium bug left my computer running smoothly.’
- ‘South Korea's Y2K management office is continuing to call on companies to beware of the millennium bug with the start Monday of normal business operations.’
- ‘Even the dreaded millennium bug failed to put in an appearance.’
- ‘Those of you who think the millennium bug didn't hit, you're mistaken.’
- ‘Are the people who are warning us about climate change the same people - and the same organizations - that warned us about the millennium bug?’
- ‘Mayhap the millennium bug was a victim of itself?’
- ‘In fact, European officials are confidently predicting the net economic impact will be nil, just like the millennium bug scare about possible computer glitches in January last year.’
- ‘Spending levels are expected to spiral above even those in 1999, when major companies splurged out of fear of the millennium bug.’
- ‘There was a sense of glee that the millennium bug did not bite and market players were ready to take the profits that were delayed into 2000 for tax purposes.’
- ‘He was finally told that the holiday had been cancelled because airlines were too worried about flying because of the threat of the millennium bug.’
- ‘The millennium bug stems from mainly older computer systems which were programmed to read only the last two digits of a year.’
- ‘The millennium bug didn't seem to hamper the year 2000 rollover, but consumers are finding bugs elsewhere, according to reports.’
- ‘Italians, who were internationally scolded for slowness in preparing for the millennium bug, woke up sleepily on the first morning of 2000 to find life working as usual.’
- ‘Problems concerning the millennium bug aside, this has not been a particularly good century for getting things right about the future.’
- ‘This year, the government has been working hard at persuading businesses and individuals to take the millennium bug seriously.’
- ‘Companies realized, when faced with the millennium bug, that disaster preparedness, security and risk management were fundamental to the survival of corporations.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.