One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wheel used to drive a watermill.
- ‘Peaceful sounds of nature, combined with water running through a mill wheel, set the tone for a soothing, scenic tour around a deserted watermill.’
- ‘This project involved the restoration of an old mill wheel along the River Barrow with a view to creating hydroelectric power.’
- ‘The Bernado O'Higgins area is a pleasant area whose appearance is unfortunately reduced by heavy drinking sessions and heavy party litter around the benches and mill wheel.’
- ‘There was a special feature on Beamsley Mill, which had the largest working enclosed mill wheel in Yorkshire.’
- ‘Masters students visited the site, off Corn Mill Lane, to find original mill stones, a dam which would have powered the two mill wheels and the area where they would have stood.’
- ‘Act 3 opens with Samson alone, chained to the mill wheel.’
- ‘Most of the items have whiled away the years in the couple's garden, including Victorian chimney pots, flag stones, mill wheels, sinks, fonts and a church's stone cross.’
- ‘The tilted stage, much like The Kostelnicka's life, is reminiscent of a deChirico painting with two chairs and a sunken mill wheel occupying the environment.’
- ‘Water power will again turn the mill wheel and drive the turbine to provide electricity to light the building.’
- ‘The lowest storey, where the mill wheel used to be (its axle is still there) is for workshop, boiler and storage.’
- ‘He said the erection of the mill wheel was an attempt to revitalise the old mill that is virtually ‘demolished,’ in the town.’
- ‘Acmylen itself is a typical small mill, with a simple horizontal side shot mill wheel.’
- ‘The pent-up waters, controlled by a sluice gate, were directed past the mill wheel, driving the wooden gears, shafts and millstones.’
- ‘At high tide a sluice was closed and the water then left to flow back at a controlled rate to operate the mill wheels.’
- ‘The area of Croom, the Mill and its mill wheel was seen by millions of people throughout the United States on a prime time news programme.’
- ‘Even in a story of crafty derring-do like The Tinderbox, he amplifies the hero's terrified wonder at the magic dogs he meets - dogs with eyes as big as teacups, or whirling wide like mill wheels.’
- ‘On view is the Victorian garden, orchard, herb garden, arboretum and fernery, as well as the old mill and mill wheel.’
- ‘The water diverted from the mainstream ends up turning a mill wheel, setting other machinery in motion.’
- ‘To be sufficient to propel the mill wheel the flow of water needs to be 0.3 cubic metres per second.’
- ‘Down, she said, and we slid on ice down to where the fence met the narrow channel that once turned mill wheels nearby.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.