One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A man who delivers and sells milk.
- ‘He had to get up at a ridiculously early hour, before the birds would start their morning song and before the milkman would deliver his pints.’
- ‘The plaintiff was a 13-year-old child who had been employed by a milkman to help deliver milk from a van.’
- ‘I often wonder how postmen, milkmen, window cleaners etc., cope with a call to nature.’
- ‘As long as you don't steal milk from the same house too often the milkman will probably get the blame for not delivering it.’
- ‘Your daily milk printout from your milkman is your eyes, ears and feet of your grassland management and feeding regime.’
- ‘The milkman had been delivering and to his horror returned to see the float hurtling down the hill.’
- ‘Back then, the milkman wouldn't deliver the milk unless it was paid for in advance.’
- ‘One milkman took to delivering his milk at night because the snow had been trampled flat.’
- ‘Mr Smith is a milkman who was delivering to the premises.’
- ‘The alarm was raised by two milkmen, who were out delivering milk in London Road when they spotted the fire.’
- ‘For years the milkman and postie kept an eye out for the most vulnerable residents on their rounds.’
- ‘A milkman carrying two cans of milk on a motor cycle lost balance and fell on his side on a flooded road.’
- ‘Particularly, the milkmen are able to impress upon the customers that the milk they bring is from a single cow or buffalo.’
- ‘They buy oranges and squeeze them to fill containers with juice, which they then sell to milkmen and wholesalers.’
- ‘They are known by their first names and are as familiar to their neighbours as postmen and milkmen are in Britain.’
- ‘But gone are the days when fresh milk was served at our doorstep with the milkman's knock at the door waking us up everyday.’
- ‘Houses have been demolished and replaced with flats and it seems the era of when everyone got their milk from the milkman is slowly fading.’
- ‘Groups of these ever-restless and inquisitive birds have even been known to follow milkmen or wait for milk deliveries.’
- ‘A fearless milkman used his milk cart to ram into a robber's getaway car just minutes after being threatened with a gun.’
- ‘There are hundreds of dogs on this estate and they are attacking the milkmen and the postmen.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.