One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK and Commonwealth countries) a decoration for distinguished active service on land, instituted in 1916 (originally for enlisted soldiers).
- ‘The Germans were killed and Private Hall's actions earned him the Military Medal.’
- ‘One East and one West African brigade participated in the re-taking of Abyssinia and one man from each was awarded the Military Medal.’
- ‘He served in the French army during the First World War and was awarded a Military Medal.’
- ‘He won the Military Medal, but was best loved for his ability to cook up ‘amazing’ meals from nothing.’
- ‘His Military Medal and war service medal were also put up for sale.’
- ‘Arthur won the Military Medal for the action in which he was killed but the citation detailing the courage that cost him his life was probably thrown on to a bonfire of family papers that is said to have burned for two days.’
- ‘Before 1993 only officers received the Military Cross, other ranks receiving the Military Medal.’
- ‘They were one of the most decorated small units of the war, with three DSOs, one Military Cross, one DCM and four Military Medals.’
- ‘A second World War soldier who was awarded the Military Medal for bravery died from blood clots in his lungs as a result of deep vein thrombosis.’
- ‘He fought in the trenches at Delville Wood and Paschaendale, for which he was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal and also the Military Medal for bravery.’
- ‘The Military Medal awarded to him before his death will also feature in the exhibition alongside his British War Medal 1914-1920 and his Victory Medal 1914-1919.’
- ‘Harry, who died last month, was educated at Lees Primary School where his father Arthur, who won the Military Medal for bravery in the First World War, was headmaster.’
- ‘Martin Bentley, 47, bearer of the Military Medal for bravery, was with his two daughters aged nine and 14.’
- ‘Les returned from the war in 1944 with a Military Medal, and held his son Bryan for the first time.’
- ‘Ron also led his platoon by example, which resulted in him being awarded the Military Medal for bravery under fire.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.