Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The study of the role that armed forces played in past events.‘in-depth analyses of 20th century military history’
- ‘Hollywood has done a stunning job of re-writing American military history along impossibly heroic lines.’
- ‘I had served during the Korean conflict as a member of the first fully integrated officer corps in U.S. military history.’
- ‘He enjoys films and is a keen reader, with a strong interest in biographies and history, particularly military history.’
- ‘Far more than just the social history the title suggests, it is a deeply researched political, diplomatic, economic and military history.’
- ‘Gambling has been an important part of our national experience and nowhere is it more evident than in our military history.’
- ‘Kevin retained an interest in military history throughout his life.’
- ‘He is also the author of several books, including several on military history.’
- ‘Americans are oddly uncurious about the military history of the war that made us a nation.’
- ‘Indeed, the Civil War proved to be a watershed in military history, becoming the first of what military historians call "modern wars."’
- ‘The role of religious ideology in military history is often overlooked.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.