One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK and Commonwealth countries) a decoration awarded for distinguished active service on land, instituted in 1914 (originally for officers).
- ‘The duke served in the Coldstream Guards, being awarded the Military Cross for bravery in 1944.’
- ‘He was awarded the Military Cross after fearlessly walking into no-man's-land between the opposing troops to comfort wounded and dying soldiers.’
- ‘One aspect of his life he rarely chose to talk about was the Military Cross he was awarded in 1945.’
- ‘The youngest squaddie to win the Military Cross was yesterday decorated by the Queen.’
- ‘Born in the 1880s, he served with distinction in the First World War, being awarded the Military Cross, and after the First World War founded his own pottery in Stoke-on-Trent.’
- ‘The Military Cross is a most fitting award for such an exemplary performance.’
- ‘He saw early action in North Africa, where he was awarded a Military Cross and bar.’
- ‘By the end of the war he had been awarded the DSO, the Military Cross, an MID, the 1914 Star and the British War and Victory medals.’
- ‘He returned to France in August 1918 and was awarded the Military Cross in October for bravery.’
- ‘His family has a strong Army tradition - his grandfather was awarded the Military Cross in the Second World War and his great grandfather received the same medal in the First World War.’
- ‘Though Barker did not receive credit for his possible victories as an aerial gunner, he was awarded the Military Cross for protecting his pilot and plane during a critical mission.’
- ‘He was awarded the Military Cross for his bravery in treating casualties under fire in the desert.’
- ‘Obviously we are very proud Darren is being awarded the Military Cross.’
- ‘He was awarded the Military Cross for his actions in the days following D-Day.’
- ‘Dempsey served on the Western Front and was awarded the Military Cross for bravery.’
- ‘For his courage, Lt Norbury was awarded an immediate Military Cross on the battlefield.’
- ‘In October he was awarded the Military Cross for bravery.’
- ‘He was awarded the Military Cross in Italy for attending many casualties under heavy fire.’
- ‘At some point he was awarded the Military Cross.’
- ‘He was awarded an immediate Military Cross for bravery in recovering the wounded under fire.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.