One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK and Commonwealth countries) a decoration awarded for distinguished active service on land, instituted in 1914 (originally for officers).
- ‘For his courage, Lt Norbury was awarded an immediate Military Cross on the battlefield.’
- ‘He was awarded the Military Cross for his bravery in treating casualties under fire in the desert.’
- ‘He saw early action in North Africa, where he was awarded a Military Cross and bar.’
- ‘He was awarded an immediate Military Cross for bravery in recovering the wounded under fire.’
- ‘Dempsey served on the Western Front and was awarded the Military Cross for bravery.’
- ‘By the end of the war he had been awarded the DSO, the Military Cross, an MID, the 1914 Star and the British War and Victory medals.’
- ‘He was awarded the Military Cross in Italy for attending many casualties under heavy fire.’
- ‘The youngest squaddie to win the Military Cross was yesterday decorated by the Queen.’
- ‘Born in the 1880s, he served with distinction in the First World War, being awarded the Military Cross, and after the First World War founded his own pottery in Stoke-on-Trent.’
- ‘At some point he was awarded the Military Cross.’
- ‘In October he was awarded the Military Cross for bravery.’
- ‘The Military Cross is a most fitting award for such an exemplary performance.’
- ‘He was awarded the Military Cross after fearlessly walking into no-man's-land between the opposing troops to comfort wounded and dying soldiers.’
- ‘Obviously we are very proud Darren is being awarded the Military Cross.’
- ‘He was awarded the Military Cross for his actions in the days following D-Day.’
- ‘He returned to France in August 1918 and was awarded the Military Cross in October for bravery.’
- ‘One aspect of his life he rarely chose to talk about was the Military Cross he was awarded in 1945.’
- ‘Though Barker did not receive credit for his possible victories as an aerial gunner, he was awarded the Military Cross for protecting his pilot and plane during a critical mission.’
- ‘His family has a strong Army tradition - his grandfather was awarded the Military Cross in the Second World War and his great grandfather received the same medal in the First World War.’
- ‘The duke served in the Coldstream Guards, being awarded the Military Cross for bravery in 1944.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.