One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A group of musicians playing brass, woodwind, and percussion instruments, typically while marching.
- ‘Pipers and military bands were in attendance, patriotic speeches were made, and a suitable lunch followed.’
- ‘While in college some of his music teachers were members of military bands.’
- ‘We are presented with images of performing military bands in rotundas being watched by finely dressed women and British soldiers.’
- ‘Led by a military band and with standards flying, they march onto the town square.’
- ‘He was also the composer of a number of light operas, music for a military band and string quartet and most of his piano music was arranged from orchestral scores.’
- ‘Each stage of the funeral will be attended by music from a military band.’
- ‘Prokofiev wrote the cantata for more than 500 performers, including a military band, an accordion ensemble, two choirs and batteries of drums and cymbals.’
- ‘He was shown a good time: tours of the city, dinners with prominent citizens, an introduction to Benedict Arnold, and a concert by a military band.’
- ‘Some 1,300 soldiers from 14 countries marched in parades or played national anthems with military bands.’
- ‘There will also be performances by military bands, talks and displays about the role of the railways during the war and even an opportunity to ride on the Green Arrow - billed as the ‘engine that won the war’.’
- ‘In the wind suites he wrote for British military bands he worked around folk tunes in country pastels and rare turns of light and shade.’
- ‘Some of the world's finest military bands will perform the soundtrack of the Centenary Naval Review.’
- ‘My uncle George used to play in a military band and perform in the street.’
- ‘The games began on January 25 with a procession of the 20 participating nations marching through the town following a military band.’
- ‘More than 30,000 fans are expected to pack the venue to watch more than 12,000 international performers including Highland dancers, military bands and the finest exponents of the pipes and drums.’
- ‘Digestion, though not conversation, was helped by the accompanying music of a military band, playing music by Suppe, Gounod and Weber.’
- ‘In 1991 he was asked to start the Army Cadet Force Music Department to co-ordinate military bands and music.’
- ‘It was followed and preceded by large detachments of soldiers, sailors and airmen slow-marching and there were three military bands in the cortège playing funeral music.’
- ‘San Marino has a military band that performs at ceremonial events.’
- ‘Tomorrow, on his actual birthday, he is to be serenaded in Johannesburg by the military band.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.