Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person or horse trained specially to run a mile.
- ‘If Trade Fair stays a mile, we could just witness a great miler in the making.’
- ‘The Minstrel was thought a miler until he ran in the Derby.’
- ‘He is a miler and he will go for the St James's Palace Stakes.’
- ‘‘I have no doubt that Haafhd is the best miler I have trained,’ said Barry Hills.’
- ‘Great milers make great sires, and past participants such as El Corredor and Distorted Humor are proving to be the next generation of important sires.’
- ‘He is a lovely strong colt, a proper miler, and it has been a pleasure to ride him for Sir Alex.’
- ‘Jarvis sighed: ‘He's the best miler I've ever trained, when the going is good.’’
- ‘European entered his name amongst Argentina's top milers with a decisive victory in the Clasico Ecuador on Sunday at Hipodromo San Isidro in Buenos Aires.’
- ‘The event could feature the best sprinters, milers, middle-distance Flat horses plus the best hurdlers and steeplechasers from around the world, with the leading two or three horses from each country taking part.’
- ‘Keltos, who has been ranked among the world's best milers and was slated to compete in the United States, has run his last race.’
- ‘It is an accolade I have always felt likely to be won by a miler - middle distance being the one that best brings together all the qualities required for the various running disciplines.’
- ‘The multiple Champion sire is well known for his stayers and middle-distance horses but he has helped to produce top class milers such as Refuse To Bend, Barathea and King Of Kings, so there is speed there.’
- ‘Fifty years on, Britain's milers have dropped Bannister's baton’
- ‘At the outset I assumed I would end up with two sprinters, two milers and two long-distance runners.’
- ‘‘You can compare her to Banks Hill and she's a top miler, although she showed she can perform over longer distances,’ Hughes said.’
- ‘When you mention the top milers, you have to mention Congaree.’
- ‘And it's pretty well established that the best milers make the best stallions.’
- ‘Over the next year and a half, the milers trained tirelessly, made numerous attempts at downing the barrier, and garnered worldwide attention for their efforts.’
- ‘We knew he didn't have the pace and speed to tackle the best milers.’
- ‘Strategic Mission is an outstanding miler with excellent stallion potential.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.