Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting a cow or other domestic mammal giving or kept for milk:‘the most important milch breed’
- ‘Now he is compelled to reside in tin sheds along with his family members and milch and other animals, under single roof constructed by the state government.’
- ‘Milk yield of milch cattle has been severely affected because of scarcity of fodder.’
- ‘Gujarat or any other dairy cannot reduce the water they give to their milch animals.’
- ‘Fifty per cent of the world's buffaloes and 20 per cent of the cattle are found in India, most of which are milch cows and milch buffaloes.’
- ‘The locals came forward to remove encroachments, which included tying up of pigs and milch animals.’
- ‘Rural libraries, training centres for the visually impaired, public toilets and milch animals are only a few assets contributed by NSS volunteers for the benefit of villagers during their field visits.’
- ‘The real income which accrues to a milk producer has to be worked out after taking into account the cost of milch animal, depreciation, mortality, expenditure on the fodder, feed, health cover, etc.’
- ‘Part Two deals with the origin and genetic improvement of the breeds as well the role and services of the various dairy breed and milch goat societies.’
- ‘This is why Hindu traditionalists strongly oppose the up-grading of milch cattle by crossbreeding with Jersey cows and other commoner breeds.’
- ‘The drought has affected the milk yield of milch cattle.’
- ‘Similarly, fodder shortages which cause a decline in household milch cattle can have negative nutritional consequences.’
Middle English: from Old English -milce, only in thrimilce ‘May’ (when cows could be milked three times a day), from the Germanic base of milk.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.