Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bath in which certain Jewish ritual purifications are performed.
- ‘They reconstruct synagogues, build new mikvas, organize ulpans for those who wish to learn Hebrew, let people experience a kosher Shabbat or simply eat and rest at the ‘Jewish Agency's’ cost.’
- ‘We can build thousands of synagogues, mikvas, cemeteries and hotels, as well as tens of thousands of homes.’
- ‘Today a mere remnant of this once-vibrant community survives, but in the 1950's the Bronx offered synagogues, mikvas, kosher bakeries, and kosher butchers - all the comforts one would expect from an observant Orthodox Jewish community.’
- ‘I visited a complex with a traditional schvitz (steam room) combined with three mikvas (warm, hot, and scalding) and group showers.’
- ‘Chabad and AYS partnered to rebuild the mikva, located behind A. Y. Synagogue, in order to make it a state-of-the-art mikva and bring its level of Kashrut to the highest.’
- ‘A special blessing is pronounced before entering the mikva, emphasizing the holy nature of this precept.’
- ‘As an unmarried, not traditionally observant woman, I had never actually been to a mikva and always assumed my first visit would be on the eve of my wedding.’
- ‘Synagogues, mikvas (ritual baths) and cemeteries have been preserved in many places in the environs of Lublin and Podlassia.’
- ‘By the time I had made all the purchases I needed to make, the sun was almost setting, Shabbat had nearly arrived, and the mikva had closed.’
- ‘Schools, shuls, mikvas and community centers began to spring up.’
Mid 19th century: from Yiddish mikve, from Hebrew miqweh, literally collection (usually of water).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.