One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rock composed of two intermingled but distinguishable components, typically a granitic rock within a metamorphic host rock.‘a series of dykes intrude the underlying migmatites’
- ‘In such a scenario, the leucogranite sheets might be interpreted to represent the conduits connecting the granite plutons through the migmatites to the granulites.’
- ‘Later, shallower and hotter metamorphism produced widespread sillimanite grade gneisses, migmatites and in situ partial melting.’
- ‘Leucosomes and leucogranites that segregated over variable distances but remained within the migmatites contain entrained inclusion-rich biotite from proximal mesosome-melanosome.’
- ‘He regarded metamorphism and deformation as continuously related processes and found it impossible to accept migmatites as metamorphic rocks.’
- ‘The subautochthonous granodiorites and transitional migmatites contain the youngest zircons of the Pena Negra Complex.’
Early 20th century: from Greek migma, migmat- ‘mixture’ + -ite.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.